Friday, October 10, 2014

Alinka Rutkowska Interviewed

Alinka Rutkowska is very well traveled. She uses the experiences she's gained in these travels to create engaging picture books and colouring books. (These books are also educational, but don't tell the kids that!) Alinka's books have won many awards including the Readers' Favorite Award and the Mom's choice Award. She also has a great community of authors that you may want to join! BUT WAIT, you may want to read this interview first.

Dani: Why picture books?

Alinka: Picture books are fun and writing for children is such an honor! As children’s authors we have the privilege of influencing the little ones’ minds. You know how sometimes people ask you which book had the biggest impact on your life? Twenty years from now one of our readers might be asked the same question and point to our books. Even the idea of this happening gives me an incredible rush and desire to publish the best books for the young minds.

Dani: Finish these thoughts:

Fish is to swimming as You are to... dark chocolate. Oh yeah! I could swim in chocolate too. And if you know me just a little bit you’ll see how much of myself is reflected in my books. My Maya & Filippo characters often indulge in a chocolate dessert. Now you know why!

I always wanted... to be an author and a business woman and a wife and a mom and a traveler. And you know what? I am all of those things. Dreams do come true and this is the main message in my books.

My hero or heroine is... oh gosh! I never know what to say to this question. I don’t really have a hero but I do have a favorite quote:

“We are what we think.

All that we are arises with our thoughts.

With our thoughts, we make the world.”

-Buddha

This is my motto in life and I am very picky about the thoughts I think. I often play a mental game, in which I keep reaching for a better feeling thought, and a better feeling one, and an even better feeling one and soon I feel really great and good things seem to happen to me naturally.

Kids should learn... whatever they are inspired to. And parents should enable them to do that. Children have a natural curiosity, which we should cherish. Kids are explorers, inventors, artists, engineers and if we don’t get in their way, they’ll know that they can accomplish great things.

Dani: What’s special about Maya & Filippo (both as individuals and the books)?

Alinka: The series is the only series I’m aware of that features children traveling around the world on a cruise ship. One of my reviewers said that my books are “a blend of fun and education” and I like this statement very much. Maya & Filippo delight readers but also have kids learning about different ports without them realizing that they are getting a geography lesson.

But there’s more. I often say that to know the author you must read her books. And indeed in all of my books you will notice a deep message of positivity. There are no villains or monsters or evil creatures in my book series. The conflict that the kids need to solve is usually an internal one. They learn for example that the more positive they think, the better things happen to them. So the books and the characters are really a blend of education and positivity and that’s what makes them so unique.

Dani: What is your ultimate goal in life?

Alinka: To make a difference. To make the world a better place. Wow! This sounds a little exaggerated... but it’s true. I want to know that I made an impression on the young minds, that I inspired children to travel around the world or to really know that dreams do come true. So if you have little children, do pass by my virtual home at www.alinkarutkowska.com - I’m currently giving away free review copies of one of my latest books. I’d love it if you could read it with your child and get them inspired to dream big.

And if you're an author, I have something for you too - my other goal is to help authors reach their readers and I've been in this business long enough to develop several sure fire ways to do just that. If you come over to www.alinkarutkowska.com/authors-course I’ll show you how to reach the people who want to read your books.

---------

Follow Alinka:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlinkaRutkowskaOfficial
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlinkaRutkowska

1 comment:

  1. Dani, thank you so much for such a WOW introduction :)

    ReplyDelete